Haikus from A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen


I do really save
all I can. Helmer (laughing).
That's very true,--all you can.

As sound as a bell!
Mrs. Linde. But--the doctor?
Nora. What doctor?

In the Lottery?
There would have been no credit
in that. Mrs. Linde.

(Jumps up.) My goodness,
it's delightful to think of,
Christine! Free from care!

Oh, well then, we can
walk down the street together.
Nora (helping her).

Yes, today. Krogstad.
She is a great friend of yours,
isn't she? Nora.

He forged someone's name.
Have you any idea
what that means? Nora.

Nora. No, no, no!
Don't let them come in to me!
You stay with them, Anne.

Of course, no one will
come today, Christmas Day--nor
tomorrow either.

Besides, that wicked
man didn't do a single
thing for me. Nora.

If only I could
be sure nothing would happen
here in the meantime.

But tomorrow night,
after you have danced-- Nora.
Then you will be free.

Many a time did
I ask myself if I had
the right to do it.

Well,--goodnight, Nora, and don't be
self-willed any more. Helmer.
That's right, Mrs. Linde.

They were on the top.
He must have put them in when
he went out. Nora.

I have never felt
my mind so clear and certain
as tonight. Helmer.

May I write to you,
Nora? Nora. No--never.
You must not do that.