Haikus from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I was sure you loved
your girls too well to neglect
such an acquaintance.

"Oh! you are a great
deal too apt, you know, to like
people in general.

"No, she would go home.
I fancy she was wanted
about the mince-pies.

Upon this signal,
the youngest of her daughters
put herself forward.

He made no answer.
"You write uncommonly fast."
"You are mistaken.

cried Miss Bingley, "Charles
writes in the most careless way
imaginable.

It is a pity
that great ladies in general
are not more like her.

"I beg your pardon,"
replied Miss Bingley, turning
away with a sneer.

Here consequently
was an inexhaustible
subject of discourse.

"That is very strange.
But I suppose you had no
opportunity.

"Oh! Mary," said she,
"I wish you had gone with us,
for we had such fun!

"What, has she frightened
away some of your lovers?
Poor little Lizzy!

At such a time much
might have been said, and silence
was very awkward.

No, Lizzy, let me
once in my life feel how much
I have been to blame.

I shall write again
as soon as anything more
is determined on.

And then, you know, when
once they get together, there
is no end of it.

"You know pretty well,
I suppose, what has been done
for the young people.

Who would have thought it!
And is it really true? Oh!
my sweetest Lizzy!

But, if I were you,
I would stand by the nephew.
He has more to give.