Haikus from The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

From a book categorized as Fiction / Mystery & Detective / Traditional British and 179 pages follows a description and a number of hidden haikus found in the book:

Styles was Christie's first published novel, introducing Hercule Poirot, Inspector (later, Chief Inspector) Japp, and Arthur Hastings. Poirot, a Belgian refugee of the Great War, is settling in England near the home of Emily Cavendish, who helped him to his new life. His friend Hastings arrives as a guest at her home. When the woman is killed, Poirot uses his detective skills to solve the mystery. This is also the setting of Curtain, Poirot's last case.

  • Download the epub for free here
  • Download the book in raw text for free here

"Don't mean the police,
but the people that are right
in it. The family.

She looked excited
and determined, and slightly
on the defensive.

"Do you young people
want lights, or do you enjoy
the twilight?" she asked.

What lay beneath them?
What more could she have told us,
if she had had time?

I realized that there
was an emotional lack
in the atmosphere.

Now your help may be
very valuable to me.
I will tell you why.

"Aren't you my friend too?"
"I am a very bad friend."
"Why do you say that?"

"I am sure of it."
"Well, well, my friend, I will be
guided by you." "Good.

As we walked briskly
away from the house, I glanced
at him more than once.

The inquest was held
on Friday at the Stylites
Arms in the village.

"No. I--never looked."
"But I did," interrupted
Lawrence suddenly.

I did not wonder
that the blood rose to John's face
in a crimson tide.

Dorcas, quite flurried
by the noise, came hurrying
out of the pantry.

"Yes, she is of those
women who show at their best
in adversity.