Haikus from The Vicomte de Bragelonne by Alexandre Dumas, Pere

From a book categorized as Foreign Language Study / English as a Second Language and 79 pages follows a description and a number of hidden haikus found in the book:

  • Download the epub for free here
  • Download the book in raw text for free here

Raoul made one step
 towards the girl who thus called him.
"But my horse, madame?"

"He!--the hypocrite!" "Hush!" said
 Louise, pressing a finger
on her friend’s rosy lips.

I must, however,
 attain that sum, which I had
set down for myself.

"Please to understand
 I shall receive nobody
before two o’clock," said he.

Charles arose, and went
 and leant his burning brow
against the window.

"Who is with him, then?"
 "A gentleman whom I don’t know,
an old man, and M.

And he put his horse
 into a trot, directing
his course towards Paris.

"Decidedly," said
 Monk, "he wishes to have me
alone in this vault.

Monk then thought he heard
 the sound of an oar over
the marsh on the right.

yes, we know it," said
 the old man, drawing the bolts;
"and here is the proof."

"Since I have known you,
 my friend," said D’Artagnan, "I have never
discharged the reckoning.

"Be it so. I say
 that this negotiation
must pass through my hands.

But the bulletin
 which followed entirely
changed the face of things.

Sleep, so powerful
 at his age, overcame him
for about an hour.

Colbert made no more
 reply than if the thing had
not been said to him.

Besides, I will not
 refuse my consent after
what you have told me.

After your rigors
 and your refusals, how could
I dream it was you?

"He knows you are rich."
 "And would ruin me." "No, but
he would have your purse.

"And would ruin me."
 "No, but he would have your purse.
That is all." "Enough!

The joker added,
 ’Give me a fowl fed by M.
Colbert, if you like!

"Then get your hundred
 and twenty men together,
abbe." "Directly.

Look at those drinkers,
 Raoul, one would say they were
jolly companions.

"Peste!--that is a great honor
 for us," said D’Artagnan, filling his companion’s glass,
whilst the host went out.

"Superb." "It is not
 so fine a place as Belle-Isle,"
said the fisherman.

"Take the corridor,
 and open the second door
on the left." "Thank you!