Haikus from A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne

From a book categorized as Juvenile Fiction / Classics and 64 pages follows a description and a number of hidden haikus found in the book:

These literary masterpieces are made easy and interesting. This series features classic tales retold with color illustrations to introduce literature to struggling readers. Each 64-page eBook retains key phrases and quotations from the original classics. Take a journey into the future of science and imagination, as seen through the eyes of Jules Verne. The adventures of Henry, Hans, and Professor Von Hardwigg take the reader from the surface of a planet they know to a world alien to them located deep inside the earth. Verne shows man's ability to survive even in the most adverse conditions and proves that survival is man's most basic instinct. He brings out the adventurer in all of us.

  • Download the epub for free here
  • Download the book in raw text for free here

"Why did you not say
 so before," cried my uncle;
"why not start at once?"

We had reached the coal
 strata of the Central Earth.
"A coal mine!" I cried.

All I cared about
 were the few drops of water
which fell to my share.

I can never tell
 all the sufferings we endured
upon our return.

"Drink, my boy," he said.
 Was it possible my ears
had not deceived me?

Was it possible
 my ears had not deceived me?
Was my uncle mad?

"Then we must make up
 our minds to perish," I cried
with a helpless sigh.

Again a half hour
 passed in the same weary toil.
Again we advanced.

He rose from a stone
 on which he had been seated,
and took up the lamp.

No words in any
 human language can depict
my utter despair.

My first sensation
 was perhaps a natural one.
Why was I not dead?

If, therefore, I could
 hear them, they must surely be
able to hear me.

But the fantastic
 illusion never lasted
more than a minute.

"Are you ill, Henry?"
 continued the Professor
in an anxious tone.

Even the roaring
 sound of the mighty column
was lost to the ear.

"Well, my lad," he cried,
 rubbing his hands together,
"have you slept soundly?"

It is utterly
 useless to struggle against
the impossible.

cried the astonished
 and bewildered Professor.
"This," was my reply.

Some indefinite
 warning told me that it had
marked me for its own.

I would have given
 every prospect of worldly
wealth for such a meal.

I yielded to fate
 and endeavored to descend.
But I could not move.

"Are you there, Henry?"
 said the voice of my uncle;
"are you there, my boy?"