Haikus from The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle


"Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
"Then I am your man."

Four or five minutes
afterwards the sitting-room
window will open.

But then, when I found
how I had betrayed myself,
I began to think.

"Your hands, my dear sir.
Your right hand is quite a size
larger than your left.

I shall stand behind
this crate, and do you conceal
yourselves behind those.

Some letters get more
worn than others, and some wear
only on one side.

"Certainly," said Holmes,
stepping over and turning
the key in the door.

"Nearly eleven."
"Of what day?" "Of Friday, June
19th." "Good heavens!

The salesman nodded
and shot a questioning glance
at my companion.

"'There is a drive, then?'
"'Yes, our little place is quite
out in the country.

"That circle is drawn
at a radius of ten
miles from the village.

"A house on fire?" asked
Bradstreet as the train steamed off
again on its way.

"Terse and to the point,"
remarked Holmes, stretching his long,
thin legs towards the fire.