Haikus from Dracula by Bram Stoker

From a book categorized as Fiction / Classics and 352 pages follows a description and a number of hidden haikus found in the book:

Abraham "Bram" Stoker (November 8, 1847 ? April 20, 1912) was an Irish writer, best remembered as the author of the influential horror novel Dracula. In his honor, the Horror Writers Association recognizes "superior achievement" in horror writing with the Bram Stoker Award.He supplemented his income by writing a large number of novels, his most famous being the vampire tale Dracula which he published in 1897. Before writing Dracula, Stoker spent eight years researching European folklore and stories of vampires. Dracula is an epistolary novel, written as collection of diary entries, telegrams, and letters from the characters, as well as fictional clippings from the Whitby and London newspapers. Stoker's inspiration for the story was a visit to Slains Castle near Aberdeen. The bleak spot provided an excellent backdrop for his creation.

  • Download the epub for free here
  • Download the book in raw text for free here

Suddenly, away
on our left, I saw a faint
flickering blue flame.

I could do no more.
I stole back to the study,
and began to read.

A minute later
I went over and tried it,
and the door was locked.

I felt all over
the body, but no sign could
I find of the key.

"My dearest Mina,--
"Thanks, and thanks, and thanks again
for your sweet letter.

If He can look me
in the face again, I may
not have time to act....

Then a thought struck me,
and I went back to the room
where Lucy now was.

But I have them here,
and we shall for the present
say nothing of them.

No word shall be lost;
and in the good time I shall
give them back to you.

"That it is not there."
"That is good logic," he said,
"so far as it goes.

Is it possible
that love is all subjective,
or all objective?

They both, however,
kept their courage, and remained
silent and quiet.

"I keep it in this."
As he spoke he laid his hand
on the phonograph.

In fact, he spoke quite
confidently of getting
his discharge at once.

He suddenly stopped
and looked at me intently
for several moments.

I am not even
concerned in His especially
spiritual doings.

But before we go
let me see you armed against
personal attack.

To-day is our day,
and we must go sure, if slow,
and lose no chance. See!

I know it so well,
as if a great hand of fire
wrote it on the wall.

She sleeps a great deal;
throughout the journey she slept
nearly all the time.

(_x_) There are people;
and people are curious,
and investigate.

We stopped our carriage,
and got down so that there might
be no disturbance.

God alone knows who,
or where, or what, or when, or
how it may be.... _Dr.

Seeing that they were
surrounded the men tightened
their reins and drew up.