Haikus from Emma by Jane Austen

From a book categorized as Fiction / Classics and 298 pages follows a description and a number of hidden haikus found in the book:

Emma

By Jane Austen

"She always declares she will never marry, which, of course, means just nothing at all. But I have no idea that she has yet ever seen a man she cared for. It would not be a bad thing for her to be very much in love with a proper object. I should like to see Emma in love, and in some doubt of a return; it would do her good. But there is nobody hereabouts to attach her; and she goes so seldom from home."

"There does, indeed, seem as little to tempt her to break her resolution at present," said Mrs. Weston, "as can well be; and while she is so happy at Hartfield, I cannot wish her to be forming any attachment which would be creating such difficulties on poor Mr. Woodhouse's account. I do not recommend matrimony at present to Emma, though I mean no slight to the state, I assure you."

  • Download the epub for free here
  • Download the book in raw text for free here

asked Isabella
in the plaintive tone which just
suited her father.

We must not be nice
and ask for all the virtues
into the bargain.

"I shall soon bring him
over to Hartfield," said he,
at the conclusion.

Do not we rather
surpass your expectations?
I am sure we do.

I am sure we do.
I am sure you did not much
expect to like us.

And now, Miss Woodhouse,
I do not think I shall mind
seeing them again.

no, no"--cried Emma, laughing
as carelessly as she could--"Upon no
account in the world.

She had never been
admitted before to be
seriously ill.

A mind like hers, once
opening to suspicion,
made rapid progress.