Haikus from Finished by H. Rider Haggard

From a book categorized as Fiction / Action & Adventure and 403 pages follows a description and a number of hidden haikus found in the book:

Third of the trilogy that includes "Marie" and "Child of Storm" giving Allan Quatermain's account of the ultimate revenge of the powerful wizard Zikali against the royal Zulu and the fall of the Zulu nation. This saga is rich in Haggard's first-hand knowledge of the African. The Zulu beauty Mameena, is a recurring character in all these books as well as in "The Ivory Child." This heirloom edition is part of The Essential Adventure Library, an entertaining collection of hard-to-find adventure stories. Visit www.EssentialLibrary.com to see all the titles in this series.

  • Download the epub for free here
  • Download the book in raw text for free here

"Nonsense," I replied
 as I rose to turn in. Ah!
if I had but known!

They sprang at me, but
 I jumped this way and that way
and avoided them.

What was to be done?
 Once it was completely dark
we could not go on.

thought I to myself,
 and very silently crept
back into the hut.

It was a small fire
 burning near the tongue of rock
which I have described.

Here is the split tooth,
 white as when I saw it all
those years ago. Oh!

Here I have sat while
 the moon climbs high and counted,
and what do I find?

I heard the force halt
 because it could not travel
further in the gloom.

Up to a certain
 point he told it, then she went
on with the story.

I rose to depart,
 when suddenly a woman
emerged from the hut.